View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 06:10 AM   #356
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
I like the Tao of Pooh and I like the Litany Against Fear from Dune, really.

But.

Fear is an inescapable element of our humanity. Someone who has no fear is an incomplete human, possibly dangerously so. And the same is true about anger--a necessary, useful, elemental aspect of being human. A life without anger is alien, not human.

What. I. Do. when I'm angry is all that I can control, all that matters.

There's not nearly enough evidence here for me to suggest "what to do" in any example we've talked about. But I would humbly suggest that ignoring anger, ignoring fear, these are responses that might be acceptable in the short term but they are unhealthy if taken to the extreme. Fear and anger are reactions, emotional reactions and my response should be to the cause of my reaction. Addressing the cause is ultimately a better solution.
I'm beginning to see what the problem is with us, BigV. You take pleasure in discounting anything, anything at all, that some people have to say. UT said he hates confrontation and I suggest a little strategy for coping, a little tiny piece of amethyst, and you turn it into a big fucking deal about the nature of human beings, short-terms, extremes...jaysus.

you're a stylist in the worst way. no matter what you're espousing the subject is always yourself. You're always teaching us the Gospel according to BigV. It gets old and it gets boring. yes, we see you there, waving. hello, bigV! Grant us your wisdom before the tide washes you away again!!

UT's unpleasant feelings while dealing with crap humanity isn't a dangerous slippery slope leading him to shoot pedestrians from a tower. Little ways of dealing with nuttiness are helpful-they don't herald the end of civilization. I'm not advocating he 'ignore anger, ignore fear' I'm advocating that he control what he can which is his own response to these things in a way that will make him feel calmer and more in control. If there was REAL danger, like a guy walking into the jawn with a gun, I'm sure UT would figure out what to do without even having to think about it.
sheesh.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 01-17-2013 at 06:17 AM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote