View Single Post
Old 03-09-2004, 09:59 AM   #8
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

First, let me get this out up front: Clarke is an ass.

Now then... this brawl was payback for Martin Havlat sticking Recchi in the face a week ago, for which he got an intent-to-injure match penalty. Everybody in the NHL knew that when Havlat came to Philly, there would be hell to pay.

So what happens? Havlat doesn't even get touched. Nobody takes a run at him in the first 55 minutes, Havlat serves the goalie's penalty and watches the rest of the brawls from behind the glass, and Clarke gets upset because the Senators (wisely) kept Havlat secluded instead of delivering him on a silver platter.

I'll watch the fights in Wednesday night's rebroadcast, but if the Flyers want to impress me (much less stand any chance of regaining me as a fan), beating on random Senators AND MISSING THEIR REAL TARGET in early March isn't the way to do it. If they face the Senators in the playoffs this year and actually SCORE SOME GOALS, _that_ might impress me a little.

Or they could average one goal a game again, shoot pucks at their starting goalie's head in the warmup again, trade Esche to Moose Jaw for a bucket of brine shrimp and find a new scapegoat next year, which has been their standard practice the last two years.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote