View Single Post
Old 02-09-2013, 04:43 PM   #470
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

The cost of a degree is crazy. We had more than $100K into my daughter's degree before she quit. It's looking like, even though her grades are respectable, she just isn't into university-level education. Wish she'd been honest at the start, or sooner at least. (No, we didn't push for university over a trade school.) She wanted to do what two of her older brothers did and had blinkers on.

Dare I say it? Maybe university should go back to being the province of those destined for academic careers, and community colleges/trade schools should provide the majority of people with a marketable skill.

I don't know. I'm all in favor of as much education as everyone is willing to absorb, but college has degenerated into frat parties and football. So while that's education of a sort, I suppose, it's not university education anyway. What about college sports? Well, what about them? They certainly aren't academics. As far as I'm concerned they have no place at university beyond intramurals or very local, amateur leagues.