View Single Post
Old 03-10-2004, 10:40 AM   #25
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
They're 13 BILLION light years away.
And growing. I hear that these distant objects are not only still moving away but they are gaining speed. So the question becomes are they being pushed or pulled? Common sense would suggest they are being pulled since, if they were being pushed, the further they moved away from whatever was doing the pushing, the less "push" there would be so they would slow down. BUT to consider that they are being pulled is ... too difficult for me to fathom.

Anyway, I also wonder if everything is moving away at a faster speed or is it the further away the galaxy the faster it is moving which means that the separation between galaxies is increasing which kind of suggests that the universe will die a cold, lonely death at some point.

I wonder too, if all the galaxies are moving away from where the big bang happened, why hasn't someone plotted the reverse course of a few galaxies to see where the paths intersect to find the "center" of the universe. They could put up a Stuckey's there or something.

Hard to believe that all that stuff fit on the head of a pin at one point but that's what they say... Sometimes I think there is an equal but opposite universe and we just keep trading matter back and forth. But that just raises more questions. And I'm with Bruce - if there's life out there I don't think we'll ever know it.

Lastly, speaking of galaxies colliding, the Andromeda Galaxy is heading straight for the Milky Way Galaxy at well over one million miles per hour. But I think we're ok for another few billion years. Too bad we'll miss the fireworks. Then again, maybe we won't.