View Single Post
Old 05-01-2013, 06:29 AM   #3643
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

FTR.

I was on a rant when I posted about terrorism.
Anyone who has read my posts know how I can foam at the mouth about the terrorism I encountered as a child.
But it was probably ill-placed here.

I admit I had been thinking about various stories and how they are reported worldwide - or not.

It was partly brought to mind because of a great book I've just read, The Boy Who Could See Demons. It's set in Belfast, and is grounded in fact, in that there are intergenerational effects affecting all children who had to live through and with the Troubles.

We expect it in places like Somalia, the Congo, Sudan. But children in what is effectively my country, although not actually child soldiers, lived with sectarianism, family and friends with extreme views, being harrassed on the way to school. It's bloody awful and sometimes it just spews out of me.

It was also prompted by someone who spoke at Meeting on Sunday, about cause célèbre. He noted that this country publicly mourned the death of three people in America, but ignored the death of 48 mental health patients in Russia, burned alive due to sedation or confinement. It affected him because of his own history as a psychiatric nurse.
Even he admitted we can't mourn everyone and everything.

So that was what was on my mind.
Sometimes I wonder at my own arrogance, that I can squander this privileged life, when so many others fight to just stay upright.