View Single Post
Old 05-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #9317
IamSam
Now living the life of a POW

Sundae - been off on one of my juants to deep cyber space only to return to read your most recent posts in this thread.

Alcoholism is so fucked up. I watched it slowly destroy one of the kindest, funniest, intelligent and bravest persons I've ever known - my father. He fought the good fight until he came back from his second tour in Vietnam, and then he just said, "Fuck it," got his pension and his bottle and he was gone in 10 short years.

I've lost so many good people to alcohol. Please, not you too, Sundae. I almost killed myself - at least 3 attempts, anyway - over my own drinking. I hated myself and I had no hope left. But somehow, I kept putting one foot in front of the other. THIS time, I got my 4 year chip on May 10th. Before this most recent period of sobriety I was drunk every day for 3 years, and before THAT I was sober for 5 years. 9 good years out of 12 ain't bad, and if I of all people managed that, I KNOW that you can Sundae. You're smart and you have a kind heart and you're funny and you're just - well, cool.

So hang in there. I had a friend who was told by the doctors he wouldn't make it even a year if he kept up the drinking like he was. We quit at the same time amd his doctor gave him a good bill of health on his last check-up. Maybe not perfect in every way, but he should have many years ahead as long as he doesn't pick up that first drink again.

Hang in. We ALL care very much!