View Single Post
Old 03-16-2004, 02:27 PM   #2
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Re: They're a-coming!

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy Monkey
On or about May 2004, Brood X of the 17-year periodical cicadas will emerge. If you are in this area, you will soon be swarmed.

I was a wee lad the last time this happened, and I remember the shells covering the trees and telephone poles, and the incredible sound. But most of all, I remember trying to walk to school without squishing them all.
Dear god: I was just graduating HS when this...event happened, and graduation day was certainly interesting. *cringe* I recall when one of those damn things was on the inside of my shirt. What happened was that some friends and I were bowling one night. After we finished up, we walked across the street to a 7-11 to wait for a ride home. I was leaning up against a trash can, and was wearing a long shirt. I suddenly felt a movement under my shirt, I looked inside, and I saw that...that thing! I screamed bloody murder, and shook my shirt away from my body to shake the cicada off (and thank GOD it was crawling up the shirt side and not actually on my skin, or else I would have died! lol).

I'm on the UMMZ site...I thought that these cicadas were blind, but I don't see anything written about that.

Not looking forward to seeing them again, especially not living here in PA, where I hear it's really bad.

*feeling her bugphobia going up many notches...*

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"

Last edited by ladysycamore; 03-16-2004 at 02:32 PM.
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote