View Single Post
Old 08-08-2013, 02:04 PM   #373
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
The kids are about to have three days in a row out in the sun doing water activities. This is great for them and all, but pale, blonde little Minifobette burns if she stands too close to an incandescent bulb. I can slather on the sunscreen every hour like I always do, but I think what I really need to do is go buy her a giant sunhat with a string to keep her from losing it.
I strongly recommend a surf shirt (also known as a rashguard for protecting the wet skin from rash from lying on the board all day). They come in every color and pattern that swimsuits do, from solids to patterns. One nice element for your situation is that some of them come with high necks, like a turtleneck, and with long sleeves. You'll get far more protection for her (and his) torso with such a shirt than you would do with a sun hat. Plus, you can't lose it and it works equally well in the water. There are lots of designs, loose, tight, long and short sleeved. We used these in Hawaii and I loved them. Very effective.

Of course, it offers no protection for her face and ears and scalp (yes, I've had my scalp sunburned through my hair, it's very very uncomfortable) and only some protection for her neck, depending on the shirt. For that, a big hat is a good idea. Failing that, getting some of the industrial strength sunscreen is your next best bet. Back in the day, I used zinc oxide for my nose. Go on, laugh. It was not clownishly unfashionable then for the lifeguards to have white noses. And it blocked 100% of the sun, it was water-proof, *and* you could tell when it was time to reapply due to wiping, not water or sweat. But you do have the white clown makeup appearance factor. There are other invisible products I've had good success with since then, like Bullfrog. I know there are others. I liked the Bullfrog because the beeswax in the formulation really gave it staying power.