View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 11:46 AM   #816
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

I agree Adak. But I also think that the tendency to dismiss as invalid mothers' concerns about their children was much worse back in the 70s.

left my mum with a whole lot of guilt and wishing she'd stood her ground more. Though she really tried. As i say, they even drafted in a consultant to come talk to her because she was being 'obstinate'.

I am still broadly in favour of vaccination programmes, mind you. But Jim's right: they don't need to vaccinate every single child. And forcing the parents who do not wish it for their children is wrong imo.

What they need to do is get better at presenting the message so that fewer parents will opt out without specific reasons (such as that their child has a family history of certain illnesses).

using the law as a blunt instrument only serves to further increase suspicion and cynicism.

[eta] ok, I have actually read the article now. I am still not sure whether I agree with the ruling or not, but this is a matter of two parents disagreeing on the best thing for their daughters. Horrible for all concerned.

Last edited by DanaC; 10-12-2013 at 11:59 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote