View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #13
chrisinhouston
Professor

My wife and I voted against the bonds and future taxes to pay for the bonds to turn the Astrodome into some kind of convention space. The plans seemed to vague and I really think the dome is not condusive to the kind of venue they invisioned. We thought it is better to just let it go the way of the wrecking ball like mostly every other historic structure in Houston! Why stop now?

Also, we had to show photo ID under the new stupid law designed to stop non existent voter ID fraud! We chose to use our US Passports which say nothing about us living in Texas or anywhere for that matter. The volunteer ladies that run our little precinct were very nice and impressed and asked us if we travel a lot because none of them have ever had or seen a passport, and they explained that my county voter registration only has my middle initial and both my passport and data supplied to them from the Department of motor vehicles have my middle name as Brian. So technically my ID did not match but they checked the box that said they accepted me as the registered voter and I had to initial that it was incorrect. My wife also had an issue because when she registered to vote here 20 some years ago women were required to list their maiden name if they had one so her registration shows it as her middle name and she has no ID with that on it. Same story for her. So what the fuck did that solve? We used ID with no Texas address and slightly mismatching names and still voted. If we had voted absentee we would have not had to show anyone any ID! I am hopeful in a few years we will get a Democrat for a governor and a Democrat controlled legislature and they can scrap the stupid ID thing.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote