View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #9731
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Oooooh. Nicely done, J!

Making me happy is:

Working on my thesis I've leaned very heavily towards the property crime side of things, and done very little towards the section on violent crime. So, since I am now all about the getting serious and shit, and trying to do a chapter a month to get this bastard in, and having more or less finished the introduction and the first chapter (defining terms and assessing sources and methodology and stuff) I decided to start work on the violence section and get that sorted before going on and doing the property crime section, which should pretty much write itself with the copious notes I already have.

I have been dreading this bit. It just feels thinner on the research and less accessible - stepping out of my comfort zone.

It's coming along nicely! And, having had very little success finding anything in the soldier journals and memoirs to use as evidence for soldiers' attitudes to and experiences of crime (except for crimes of survival whilst on campaigns, such as during the terrible march from Corunna) I've suddenly found a little flurry of examples showing attitudes towards violence as am incidental day to day thing - and an example of a cuckolded soldier killing his wife and then not being put on trial for murder because he was blinded by passion and because her behaviour was considered to have precipitated his action.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote