View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 07:46 AM   #643
glatt

School's only delayed. Mrs. Glatt will drive them and pick them up. She subs at one of the schools, so it works with her schedule. Normally, one would have a 1 mile walk and the other would have a 1.95 mile walk.

I walked 1 mile to the subway this morning. I bundled up, so was fine. 6 degrees when I left the house. But the long johns and hat and scarf and hood of my puffy ass down coat helped a lot.

Name:  Metro fubar.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  70.9 KB
Significant delays on the Metro. Our stop is the first one underground. The trains have about 10 miles above ground before they get to our stop. And when I got to the station, what would have been my train was disabled and off-loaded. Maybe you can see the thousand or so people standing on the platform next to the train. I stayed on the upper balcony with a bunch of other people until things got sorted out down there. The platform to the right was empty because there was a medical emergency on that side of the track at the next station. (An above ground station.) And traffic had been stopped.

Waited around for a half hour while it got more and more crowded. Then they made an announcement that they would be single tracking trains (sharing the same track, and taking turns) to go around the disabled train. Huge stroke of luck for me, because I was one of the first people down onto that empty platform, and I got onto the first train to come into the station. It was packed like sardines, but I made it in to work.

Anyway, it's not normally like this on Metro. And I blame the severe cold. At least I was inside for all my waiting.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote