View Single Post
Old 04-10-2014, 10:06 AM   #10
Pamela
Deplorable

I had a long talk with m friend LJ last night. It seems that her devastation was all in my head. She was remarkably chipper after a short chat. She was merely overwhelmed by the outpouring of support, even from strangers. She has gotten a lot of notes on her FB as well as email and even in person regarding this issue. A local TV station ran a poll that shoowed 86% support for her.

Dana nailed it perfectly. This looks like a tempest in a teapot started by a few unimportant bigots who are perpetually outraged at anything that contradicts their little world.

Gravdigr, the parent seems to be most worried about his son getting a crush on teacher

Bruce, she was hired recently, as she appeared in the pictures (which were lifted from her FB page without permission). Her surgical status is pre-op. I say thi because she doesn't make it a huge secret; but she doesn't wear it on a Tshirt either. She would never discuss the subject with the children or at the school. She loves children and would not try to poison their little minds. And, to put the subject to rest she is NOT there for any nefarious purposes, as has been implied by some (I'm looking at YOU, Breitbart.com!).

She was outed by a neighbor child whose parent cannot accept LJ as a person, only as a freak and who has instilled that mindset in their child, who blabbed to anyone who would listen about LJs status. Children will do scary things to gain their parents' approval.

Zippy, she has spoken to lawyers but is taking no action yet. She is wisely waiting to see how the school board will decide.

The Lumberton area is served by an ISD and is not subject to the city anti-discrimination, which protects gays and transsexuals from discrimination. State law offers no such protection. Bills amending the state laws have been defeated, even though an ISD is not beholden to the state, either.

EEOC rulings and recent court decisions have protected transgender peoples jobs. But ENDA continues to be defeated in the Congress.

I have heard that there is a Change.org petition out there but I was unable to find it. If anyone can share a lilnk to one, I would appreciate it.

Pamela

Last edited by Pamela; 04-10-2014 at 10:37 AM.
Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote