Thread: Nanny State
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #13
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
For a US example, the no weapons near a school laws that have led to a first/second grader being expelled for pointing a finger at a classmate, or drawing a picture of a gun. The school officials always claim they are enforcing the law and their hands are tied. I don't know if these teachers are playing Principal's pet, are brainwashed cyborgs, or afraid someone else saw it and will rat them out, rather than using common sense in the first place.
Here's why that happens. Let's say first grader Johnny drew a picture of a gun, and received a less harsh punishment than was required. Weeks later, Johnny shot up his class or another student brought in a gun, because "Johnny didn't get in trouble" and the gun "went off" killing another student. Whoever did not follow procedure to the letter will have their lives ruined by criminal and civil litigation. And the laws that enable that to happen will be contrary to common sense, as will the laws that prohibit the parents of the victims from getting everything they want.

I believe that laws, to a great extent, have good intentions behind them. There are always unintended consequences.