View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Alcohol Might Be Good For You

I said might, not because my mother said everything is ok in moderation, but because I don't know if this article is true, partially true, or bullshit. However it makes some pretty bold statements from Stanton Peele's intriguing position.

Quote:
Even drinking more than is recommended, without displaying clinical symptoms of problem drinking or alcohol dependence (and these are not subtle), is generally better for you than drinking nothing
Quote:
The encouragement of undertaking drinking with the implication of prevention of coronary heart disease would be scientifically misleading and socially undesirable in view of the major health problem of alcoholism that already exists in the country.
Quote:
The more alcohol a society consumes, the fewer alcohol-related problems and alcohol-related deaths (including cirrhosis) it has.
Quote:
The overall death rates were lowest among men and women reporting about one drink daily. Mortality from all causes increased with heavier drinking, particularly among adults under age 60 with lower risk of cardiovascular disease.
I smell a little Oprah-Winfreyism here.