Thread: Rice
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #16
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
A great many of these claims (woman claims man beat her; woman claims man beat child; woman claims man raped her; woman claims man raped child) turn out to be utter crap...lies that are recanted, or, proven false.

Not saying' 'most'; am sayin' 'a great many'.
Fair enough. But given that there are also likely to be many genuine cases; and given that there is likely to be an under reporting of genuine cases (of the women i know who have been raped or beaten only one involved the police ), it might be good if you didn't phrase things in such a dismissive manner.

I don't doubt that there are some people who lodge false complaints. And i absolutely believe that the accused should be considered innocent until proven guilty. But the experience of women who do report rape - and I mean women who have been subjected to deeply damaging attacks - is that they are often automatically disbelieved. They are treated as guilty of lying unless they can prove otherwise.

Studies into police practice have shown that in many cases women have been persuaded not to take action, on the grounds that they will not be believed and on the grounds that they cannot prove that it was rape - even when they have evidence to back it up. The attitude of those who investigate is often one of disbelief as a default setting. Women are often assumed either to be lying, or to have brought it upon themselves.

The result of that culture of disbelief is that the majority of victims do not report.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote