Thread: Weird News
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #2850
glatt

Wrong thread for this, but I don't know where best to put it.

World class newspaper tells readers to stop consuming news. Because it's bad for you.

My favorite quote is:
Quote:
News kills creativity. Finally, things we already know limit our creativity. This is one reason that mathematicians, novelists, composers and entrepreneurs often produce their most creative works at a young age. Their brains enjoy a wide, uninhabited space that emboldens them to come up with and pursue novel ideas. I don't know a single truly creative mind who is a news junkie – not a writer, not a composer, mathematician, physician, scientist, musician, designer, architect or painter. On the other hand, I know a bunch of viciously uncreative minds who consume news like drugs. If you want to come up with old solutions, read news. If you are looking for new solutions, don't.
There is website called Cockeyed that I check out every so often. The guy who does it is curious about the world and does experiments to figure stuff out. He's pretty creative. Figuring stuff out on his own means that he winds up doing some things the wrong way, like a fort he built in his backyard, but it's wildly creative.

I do things the opposite way. If I am curious about something, I read about it first. I learn as much about it as I can before I try it out. So it takes me forever to get stuff done. If I make a fort in the backyard, it will meet fairly normal construction standards. And be boring and uncreative.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote