Thread: Cupcakes
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2014, 10:03 AM   #499
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Oh, and an update on the dry cake lady. She declined my offer of a refund. I think she just wanted to complain and make me feel bad. She succeeded. At least I get to keep her money.
We went to a show Saturday night. The venue was the kind where there's a swarm of waiters that keep the drinks coming for those that want them, there's an abbreviated menu for appetizers, etc. In addition to the standard drinks menu, there was a special drinks menu with show-themed drinks. One of them sounded interesting and I ordered it: Tulips. It was Hennesey Black Cognac, creme de violette, and sparkling wine. It was served in a champagne flute, and though the light was poor, it appeared to have a pale lavender tint. It was pretty, but ... ugh. foul tasting. Everybody had a different drink, there was sharing, mmm tha's tasty! etc. When asked about mine, I said it was ew, but here, taste for yourself.

After all of us had a sip, the verdict was unamimous--gross. When the waiter made another of his numerous trips to the table to check in "How are your drinks?" I asked him if he'd ever had one of these Tulips, and he said no, how is it? I said "Don't hurry". He immediately offered to take it back, take it off the bill and bring me anything else I'd like. I accepted his offer to return the drink and refund the price, but I'd had enough to drink with dinner anyhow so no more for me.

Point being, the offer of a refund was appreciated. I think you did the right thing Aliantha. I've never returned a drink in my life, and wouldn't have thought to, except he offered. I felt well served, and I bet your customer feels the same way. You probably saved a customer, and probably saved a poor word of mouth review, both of which are worth much more than the price of a single cake.