View Single Post
Old 12-22-2014, 08:04 PM   #1770
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Two months ago McCartney released a different version of "Letting Go" from 1975 and... I love the song now. This must have been an early mix. The final mix that made it onto the "Venus and Mars" album had horns and a loud production with Macca at full voice. This version is unproduced and Macca sounds vulnerable and real.

UT's High-Falutin' Deeper Analysis Section: I really like the organ chord that makes the transition to the second line. It goes:

Am
Ah, she tastes like wine

Dsus4 . . . . . . . . . D
Such a human being so divine

This Dsus4 chord is the kind of thing that Paul is a master of. The ordinary songwriter just goes "D!", and in fact, fuckin' Heart just goes D in their cover of the song for The Art of McCartney. Paul always asks whether a more complicated chord will result in something more subtle and interesting.

Why, it took people getting access to the master tapes to decode the opening chord of "Hard Day's Night"...

Also, at 2:58 he changes key up three half steps, from Am to Cm. And while other similar up-modulations seem like hokey songwriting tricks, I really dig this one.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote