Thread: Eulogy
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 03:03 PM   #5
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
It is horribly cruel and sadistic. With my late FIL, an extremely sharp and engaged man who lived to talk (the hind leg off a donkey was peanuts for him) the disease presented itself first in his throat. For a few months he would carry around a pre-printed card with his doc's # and a note explaining that he was not drunk, etc. etc.

He shortly lost the ability to speak, so he would type things out and have the computer say them. He became very frustrated at not being able to communicate and began to spend a lot of time with various discussion groups relating to composing and music. (He wa a composer) he had an enormous network of online friends that we knew nothing about until after he passed. Eventually he could no longer use his keyboard and was constantly inadvertently fucking up his OS by banging the wrong sequence of keys, or something. Eventually he could only sit there reduced to head nods a prisoner in his body.

Not to take anything away from the shittyness of any other disease, but ALS is a fucking nightmare of trying to run but being unable to move come to life.

I've got no ideas about the eulogy other than from the heart. Again, my sympathies to you and your kids.