View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 08:02 AM   #1507
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Jack Handey is a real person. I thought the same about Toonces and was surprised to read this from Wikipedia, so it has to be true.

Other SNL work[edit]
Other Handey pieces that appeared on SNL included Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer,[10] "Fuzzy Memories" which depicted reenactments of a twisted childhood memory and aired in the late 1990s, and the short-lived "My Big Thick Novel", which were spoken excerpts from a very long book in the style of "Deep Thoughts" and which aired during the 2001–03 seasons of SNL.

Handey is also credited with creating Toonces, the cat who could drive a car, although badly ("See, I told you he could drive! Just not very well!").[11] The recurring skit originated in 1989 with Steve Martin and Victoria Jackson as the crash-prone kitty's owners. In 1992 NBC aired a half-hour Toonces special. Handey, who owned a real cat by the same name, once said he couldn't remember exactly how he dreamed up the premise. He said, "It was just one of those free association ideas you write down and look at later and think, 'Maybe.'"[11]