View Single Post
Old 01-21-2015, 11:09 AM   #8
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

OK, the museum calls it a "German incendiary bomb", that would support my theory of the burning tarred rope pieces scattered from the explosion.

The picture Carruthers used in the op looks like explosion damage rather than fire razed, to my eye. I wonder if they had more than one kind of bomb?

From here,
Quote:
In 20 minutes a Zeppelin had dropped 3,000 pounds of bombs, 91 incendiaries that had started 40 fires, gutted buildings and left seven people dead. Not a single shot was fired in retaliation. From that day forward the Zeppelins were known as the "baby killers".
Hmm, that would make them about 33 lbs each, so there was probably only one type.
Quote:
During their brief, but deadly dominance the airships killed more than 500 people and injured more than a thousand in places all down the east of the country. The last ever attempt to bomb Britain by a Zeppelin was over the Norfolk coast on 5 August 1918. Three years earlier, when a Zeppelin first appeared in the skies above Great Yarmouth, it was an invincible force, but now they were outclassed and dealt with swiftly.
But the Brits learned from it. Should be, keep calm, carry on, but take notes.
Quote:
But the Zeppelin exposed those at home who were now as vulnerable as those on the front line. The government became acutely aware they needed an aerial defence system that operated in depth.
It led to the formation of the RAF in 1918 and to the development of operations rooms such as the one at Duxford that proved so crucial in 1940 during the Battle of Britain and ultimately victory in World War Two.