View Single Post
Old 03-05-2015, 09:29 AM   #788
glatt

"Filament" LED light bulb are the future, but here today. The price just needs to come down a little bit. These things are freaking awesome!

I bought one of these LED filament bulbs to try it out. Not cheap. $15.50, but free shipping.

It came in a plain unmarked box in a padded envelope. The bulb was in a protective plastic clam shell. No brand name that I can see.

Name:  LED packaging.jpg
Views: 454
Size:  91.3 KB

Comparing the LED filament bulb side by side with an incandescent bulb.
Name:  LED size comparison.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  52.0 KB

And here it is in the fixture, with the dimmer at 100%. On the left is a 40 watt incandescent. In the middle is a 4 watt Filament LED, and on the right is a 60 watt incandescent. To my eye, in person, it looks as bright as the 60 watt bulb.
Name:  LED 40-4-60.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  42.5 KB

Here's a very underexposed close up of the LED light. You can sort of see in individual LEDs under the filament's coating.
Name:  LED underexposed.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  49.1 KB

And I noticed with the lamp shades on that the LED's 4 filaments effectively eliminate the shadows caused by the lampshade wire clamps that grab the bulb. Those shadows are visible on the incandescent lamp shade.

And finally, I took a video of the dimming.

The LED bulb is listed as 2600K, but it seems just a little bit whiter than the incandescent bulbs at 100% power. And as you dim the lights, the incandescents go yellow, but the LED keeps its color.

I like this bulb. It's expensive, but I ordered 4 more. It will take the Dining Room light from 220 total watts (with a mixture of 40 and 60 watt bulbs) and reduce it to 20 total watts. I don't know how long it will take for these to pay for themselves. I suppose I should have calculated that before ordering 4 more, but that would have involved tracking down a power bill and doing the calculations.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote