View Single Post
Old 04-19-2004, 05:22 PM   #70
ladysycamore
"I may not always be perfect, but I'm always me."

Quote:
Originally posted by elf
I don't get it.

There's not a damned thing you can do about the past. Nothing in this world can ever let you go back and change something already done.
I don't know if you meant that regarding relationships, or just things in general, but either way, it's easier said than done with many people.

I agree that one shouldn't wallow in misery about things, but sometimes, it's just hard to let go of the past.

I know this all too well: I would LOVE to go back to the way things used to be with me (at least a little bit), but I know that I can't, and that makes me angry sometimes (and I'm dealing with that with the help of a psychiatrist that specializes in chronic illnesses...I have kidney failure). What he has helped me with is that having certain feelings of anger, etc. is ok, and that to try to feel otherwise when you honestly don't is only counterproductive. Of course, anyone who is clinically depressed may need to seek professional advice/couseling.

The point is that I don't "dwell", but I'm not going to ignore how I feel, and pretend that the choices that I made in the past didn't contribute to the way I am today (and yes, I'm totally regretting making those choices).

It's good that you are able to keep the past in the past and move on, but realize that there are those of us who need a bit more time to get to that point.

"The Akan concept of Sankofa: In order to move forward we first have to take a step back. In other words, before we can be prepared for the future, we must comprehend the past." From "We Did It, They Hid It"
ladysycamore is offline   Reply With Quote