View Single Post
Old 06-12-2015, 07:46 AM   #144
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Lots of meetings regarding him, and I'm hoping assisted living is in his very near future. I may end up with a durable power of attorney in all this. His dementia is getting bad.
Looks like I have a new responsibility.

My aunt and my mom were in town the last few days for their cousins reunion, and I was hoping all the cousins would work on this other cousin, Chris, to get him to agree to go into assisted living. But instead they were just working on getting him to agree to meet with a social worker yesterday. Which we all did.

The result of that meeting is that I'm going to find an in-home care agency that can send over workers to help take care of his needs for a few hours each day. Chris also agreed to change my "conditional" power of attorney to a regular power of attorney so I can help take care of his affairs now instead of waiting until he doesn't know his own name. I can take compensation for POA services, so I can just think of it as a second job. And since I already have enough on my plate, you had better believe I'll be paying myself for my services.

So basically I have a new responsibility, which I'm not entirely happy about, but I can see why it should be me, and I agreed to it. And hopefully, this in-home care will make it obvious that what's really needed is moving into a facility, and that can be next.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote