Thread: The Quest
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2015, 02:11 PM   #260
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

UPDATE

I've been at the concrete company for just over two weeks now. I got a message late yesterday saying I was to come into the office (distinct from the shop and the yard) to meet with the GM. I thought it would be so they could issue me my own keys and codes and cards, etc., stuff the drivers use to do their job. Nope.

I sat with the GM and he said they've found someone else they like better to do this job.

It's being recorded as a layoff so no impediments to my drawing benefits (lol, how much benefits will I have accrued after 12 days of working ffs.).

I got *zero* actionable feedback on why this decision was made. Zero. And that upsets me. I thought I was getting the hang of things, driving the big truck (a Freightliner FL60 flatbed), getting to know the crews, the jobsites, the routine. I wasn't ever late, I didn't dent anything... No feedback. Well, there was that one time at band camp where the superintendent thought I was slacking, but I was really sitting on the ground pulling nails out of the stakes around the below grade forms for an exterior slab. I talked to my project manager about it (and at least three other people) and the upshot was that that superintendent is super picky, not to worry, "I only trust what my people tell me", etc. Ooookay. So I tried to get some learning from it, and I learned that it wasn't that big a deal. And then a week later, they've "found someone else they like better for the job". Whatthefuckever.

Talked to Twil, commiseration. Talked with former boss at the car lube outfit and my exit paperwork was to be completed today. I got there in time to keep that from happening, so I'll be back in the pit as soon as Friday. The pay will still be inadequate by about 50% or more, but it's better than nothing.

More later... I guess. I hope. Now I've got some daylight free time to rerestart my job search.

*sigh*