View Single Post
Old 08-26-2015, 11:07 AM   #66
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Ry Cooder is coming to Seattle in October and Twil and I are going to see him!

Quote:
Skaggs has been playing country and bluegrass since he was a child. He’s garnered over a dozen Grammys to his name in the past 30 years. Ry Cooder is the quintessential ethno-musicologist, exploring, playing, and producing albums about Cuba’s music scene and the Latino scene in Chavez Ravine (now Dodger Stadium), and has released a vast number of albums, both solo and in collaboration with other artists such as Captain Beefheart, Maria Muldaur, and Warren Zevon. Sharon White has spent much of her life playing with gospel/country vocal group the White Family. At the Sheldon show, the band was joined by Sharon’s sister, Cheryl (who sat in on backup vocals), and her father, Buck White (who sat in on piano and vocals). The ensemble was rounded out by Skaggs’ former Kentucky Thunder bassist Mark Fain and Cooder’s son Joachim on drums.
My first exposure to Ry Cooder was hearing his work on the soundtrack to the film Paris, Texas.

I was immediately and permanently hooked. I went on to learn and love more of his work, especially on "Into the Purple Valley" and "Paradise and Lunch" and "Chicken Skin Music", "Bop Til You Drop", etc. (discography here). I can't wait to see and hear him live.