View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 02:07 PM   #273
it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
I'd need to take a closer look at the article. I'm mildly suspicious - then again, I am mildly suspicious of the figures from the end of the extreme that make it seem like every other woman has been assaulted. This despite the fact that a majority of the women I know in my life have experienced sexual assault of some kind.
It comes down to the same problem of determining whether the surveyed were honest and whether there was some selection bias.

There is a definite need for peer review, which we have for sexual assault by males on females and some by male on male but very little in female on male and none when it comes to female on female (And I know victims of this personally, so it's definitely there). Specifically peer review that uses the same definitions reliant on non-consent and asks about the acts themselves.

I also think we'd get better results and less of a selection bias if it was part of a larger study, perhaps including the questions in a survey about crime or heath or dating culture, and not with taglines like "National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey ".

Last edited by it; 08-31-2015 at 02:42 PM.
it is offline   Reply With Quote