View Single Post
Old 10-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #6061
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

"Where has Clodfobble been?" I hear none of you asking. (That's not what's irritating me, that's just my crappy version of an apology for being in absentia for the last week-ish.) Well, first I was taking the kids to Disney--first time on a plane for them and they had a blast, maybe I'll get around to posting pictures sometime--and since returning I have been spending all my free hours going through the relentless process of copyediting, which actually means responding to each of the thousand-plus proposed copyedits sent to me. Most of them are comma deletions or sticking a hyphen in "good-bye" or whatever, but there are a couple that have made my brain explode. In a mildly irritating manner.

I think my copyeditor must surely be Indian. This shit has got to be outsourced. Because on the one hand, she wrote this:

Quote:
...fighting relentlessly for an abstract child whom who I knew was out there somewhere...

<<AU: “who” is actually the subject of the clause (as if you were just saying “who was out there”; “I knew” is in apposition).>>

but on the other hand, she writes things like this:

Quote:
upwards of (unclear)

<<AU: When you say “upward of,” do you mean “more than” or “as much as” or “up to”? I’m afraid this expression has never been clear to me.
Quote:
The "best thing since sliced bread" The best thing since before sliced bread

<<AU: I couldn’t wrap my mind around “the best thing since,” because you were actually talking about the time before you could buy bread already sliced. Is this change OK? I don’t think you need the quotation marks.
Bugs the shit out of me that her job is to nitpick my stuff and she doesn't know basic idioms.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote