View Single Post
Old 06-15-2016, 08:38 AM   #1252
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post

Why buy a dog and bark yourself?
Why engage a skilled linguist to edit the (already good) translation of your powerful and moving text if you're going to tinker with the results to ensure that it reads like a translation, and has far less impact as a result.
Why on earth would a professional linguist and native speaker of a language have a better understanding of the implications and nuances of the words and phrases they suggest than any dictionary or simplistic word search on the Internet or assumption based on the word in the original language which resembles the translator's suggestion but is a linguistic "false friend"?
I know the thing you talk exact.

"I've got a nephew who is really into photography and just got a new camera, let's have him to do the photos."
"My girlfriend was very artsy in high school, she can design the brochure."

The thing I find it hard to wrap my mind around and even harder to accept is the truth that people only want 70% and if you give them 80% they will think it is 100% because that is all they are capable of seeing/appreciating/understanding.

That, and every asshole with a hammer thinks he's a carpenter.