Thread: Weird News
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2016, 09:48 AM   #3592
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

I briefly considered posting this in Idiot Of The Day but I think that the poor chap has suffered enough, however his surname provides added comic value.

Quote:
New father given piles op by mistake

A first-time father in China has learnt a painful lesson about trusting doctors after he was taken by mistake for a haemorrhoid operation as he waited for his wife to give birth.

The 29-year-old man, identified only by his surname, Wang, was waiting on Monday in a corridor by the surgical ward of a hospital in Shenyang, northeast China. His wife was preparing for a caesarean section and fathers in China are typically excluded from births.

After waiting less than an hour Mr Wang was beckoned in but did not hear clearly what the doctor said. He wondered why the husband of a woman having a baby should need to drop his trousers and get on an operating table, but did as instructed.

“Maybe I just know too little, and I’m afraid of being laughed at for ignorance if I ask more questions,” he said to the Chinese Business Morning View.

Although he was given an anaesthetic Mr Wang, who did not know he had haemorrhoids, said he had pain and difficulty walking after the surgery. He was also frustrated by being unable to help his wife with their new baby.

The hospital explained that Mr Wang had been mistaken by doctors for another man. He has been offered £500 compensation, but his family have consulted lawyers and may sue.
The article was in The Times and is behind Uncle Rupert's paywall but The Register has its own take on the subject.