View Single Post
Old 05-05-2004, 05:09 PM   #158
Lady Sidhe
That's my story and I'm stickin' to it....

The Advocate--article

Slaying Suspect, 12, Ruled Juvenile

Carrollton, Ga.--A 12-year-old boy accused of strangling an 8-year-old neighbor cannot be charged as an adult in the girl's death and would face a maximum two years in prison if convicted, prosecutors said Wednesday.

District Attorney Pete Skandalakis said he had no choice but to try the boy as a juvenile. Under Georgia law, a defendant must be at least 13 to be tried as an adult, he said.

"I do not feel two years is sufficient as punishment in this case," Skandalakis said.

He said the victim's family was "heartbroken" that the boy could not receive a more severe penalty.

The boy, whose name is not being released by police, was ordered Wednesday to remain in a youth detention center. A Juvenile Court judge said that there was probable cause the boy committed a delinquent act.

The boy is accused of strangling Amy Yates on Monday evening when she disappeared while riding her bike to a friend's home. The boy also lived in the trailer park.

Yates' body was found hours later fully clothed in a nearby gully filled with tall weeds.

TWO YEARS for murder. Oh yeah. THAT'S justice. Somebody actually gonna tell me that a 12-year-old boy doesn't know that murder is wrong? There's this bridge for sale...

Sidhe

Someday I want to be rich. Some people get so rich they lose all respect for humanity. That's how rich I want to be.
-Rita Rudner

Lady Sidhe is offline   Reply With Quote