Thread: How-to...
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2016, 11:20 AM   #15
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by limey View Post
I tend to arrange books by subject matter (biographies, travel, novels, poetry) and would probably do film/video the same way. Music by genre but that's tricky because I disagree with a lot of genre classifications, so why not alphabetical by artist?
Or do the whole lot by colour and size, for a visually pleasing arrangement. You'll get used to it and find stuff easily!
I use my own genre designatons rather than someone else's for that reason. It has to be how I think of it in order for me to find it. In some cases I don't even really have an adjective to describe the genre, but I'd put Liz Phair with Aimee Mann because I put them in the same group depending on how I feel when I want to listen to them. Jake Thackray and Jonathan Coulton would go together for me because their music is mainly about the story and lyrics for me.

So the genre should really be how it makes sense to you. Ravel would never go with Beethoven in classical because they are worlds apart. Ravel, Satie, Debussy, yes. Even Beethoven, Bach, and Mozart aren't really in the same category.