View Single Post
Old 03-30-2017, 12:14 AM   #345
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Good news
I had my new little truck filled with yet another load of yard waste as I left on time to work this morning. I intended to take it to the transfer station on my lunch break.

Bad news
What the fuck is that smell? Answer: coolant. I stopped on the on ramp to the highway and when I did, great plumes of sickly sweet steam billowed out from the grill and hood. F.U.C.K.

Good news
Wasn't on the highway, ... really. So I intended to back up the on ramp to get back on the surface streets.

Bad news.
Remember that full load of yard waste? Zero visibility out the back. Just a little rain covered mirror as I negotiated the uphill, shoulder/fog line/grass/other commuting fuckers trying to hit the right turn on ramp at speed.

Good news
I made it without causing an accident. Because I was backing up and focusing on the mirrors, I could ignore the clouds of steam from the front of the truck.

Bad news
I really am out of coolant now.

Good news
It's only a mile on fairly quiet surface streets to the local auto parts store. Four stoplights and I hit every one red.

Bad news
I get to the store at a couple minutes after 7. The store opens at 730, the same time I'm supposed to be at my desk.

Good news
I use the slack time to remove the offending burst hose, it's a top heater hose, I can see where it's spurting coolant. Everywhere. I can get my hose clamp loose from the firewall connection with my leatherman.

Bad news
But not the waterpump connection, just too close of quarters.

Good news
Store opens and at 731 I buy a length of heater hose to match the hose I cut out of the truck, plus two inches.

Bad news
The first purchase of some long nose locking pliers, they couldn't reach the clamp.

Good news
Returned those pliers and got a pair of long needlenose pliers with a 90 degree bend at the tip. Success. The hose was back on.

Bad news
The radiator and overflow tank are dry.

Good news
They sell coolant too. One gallon of full strength and on the road, another gallon of water when got to the office. My total time in the pits was about 30 minutes and I was back on the road to work.

Bad news
By the time I was back on the road, my coffee was cold.

Good news
That was the worst thing to happen to me all day.

WIN!