View Single Post
Old 05-22-2003, 05:41 PM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I love scary movies and rarely find one that's actually able to scare me. Perhaps this is because I started watching them at a young and impressionable age and got desensitized to it.

I certainly look forward to seeing "The Ring" if it's that unsettling. I'll have to make a point of renting it, or seeing it when it hits cable.

I had heard about all of the crowd reactions to seeing "The Exorcist" ... they must have been some seriously unbalanced, nervous people. When I finally saw the movie I enjoyed it, but wasn't horrified, particularly. Years ago I read a psychology journal article about those reactions, but too much time has passed to remember the exact conclusions, except that the author chalked it up to mass hysteria.

I will admit to being scared by one scene in Jaws (I guess I was in Jr. High, or early High School at the time), where Hooper is diving down to the boat that the shark sunk, and the head pops out ... jumped out of my seat! The gotcha factor doesn't go as far nowadays, of course.

I think, though, that I'm more scared by things that I personally find scary ... Like in "The Great Escape", when the tunnel collapses. THAT'S scary, also stunts involving high places.

But Icky Stuff usually doesn't get me that way, beyond making me feel unsettled.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote