View Single Post
Old 05-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #317
chrisinhouston
Professor

Thanks! I didn't quite understand what you meant.

Biggest problem I'm having now is breaking free the bolt for the crank pulley. The pulley has 2 metric threaded hole on either side of the bolt and the Toyota shop manual says to use Special Tool blabidy bla which is like a long handled wrench with a Y shaped yoke at the front and gets bolted to the pulley and then you use a breaker bar and a 22mm socket to break loose the big bolt. The Haynes manual say to jamb a pry bar into the ring gear via a removable plate on the side of the bell housing or put a socket on one of the bolts on the side of the flywheel, probably one for the torque converter. If I go that route I will need my son to help me tomorrow, it's a 2 person job.

I tried to fabricate a tool out of 1/8 aluminum flat bar stock I had in the shop, drilled two hole for the bolt and between them for the socket. It looked nifty and I tightened it up with some high strength metric engine bolts I had. Bent the bolts right off as soon as I pulled on the breaker bar so I quit. Wish I could remember how I did it last time, I must have jammed the flywheel in place.

On the upside, Toyota was able to order 3 of the plastic connectors that cracked, the ones that attach to the ignition coils and they were only $8 each.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote