Thread: The Quest
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2006, 02:48 AM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Opportunities like this can take you to some interesting and exciting places.
Quite! But right now my need for a stable cash flow far outweighs my desire for new challenges and experiences. I hear the wild calling, but am commited to deferring the satisfaction of answering that call in favor of supporting my family. Let me be clear--this is in no concievable way a burden to me. The thing I want the most is the welfare of my family. That satisfies me. But someday, that need will be satisfied with far less 9 to 5 effort from me and some of those hours will be spent returning that call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
What did you do and what do you want to do?
I am a generalist. Jack of all trades (technological), master of none. The Lone Ranger. Actually, this is quite appropriate to my most recent position. I was the whole IT department. It wasn't that I couldn't do the work, I just didn't like working alone and it caught up with me, so to speak. Look, y'all know how much I talk. I am in love with the sound of my own voice, and it sounds even sweeter when reflected off of others. I really do like some company, professional company (you. there in the gutter. out. now.)

At the last job, I ran all the technology. If it had a blinky light and a power cord, it was my responsibility. I don't mind that work, the variety can be very stimulating. I especially like helping people. Solving problems. I get a charge out of fixing stuff. And I like to talk about it, often while it's being worked out. Not in a showoff kind of way, but more in the "hey, this is cool, check this out" or "Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State." (thanks Fletch!) kind of way.

So I can do mostly all the stuff, I prefer a position that has contact with others, both users and teammates. Oh, and a boss that knows what he's doing. That's not too much to ask, is it?

Actually, wolf, I recently had an interview here. They have some rockstar gear, and (yay!) more than one person on staff supporting and maintaining the technology. One of the informal tests was to leave me in the lobby for 10 to 15 minutes so I could get a chance to be with the clientele. I did, no biggie, and the first question was, How would you handle being around people like that? No problem. I have my own personal space that can be invaded, like everyone else, but I'm a big boy now and I can take care of myself. Plus, I'm mature enough to consider the source and not make more (or less) of any given interaction. Fine, I don't mind working in a place where some of the people in the building have mental problems.

Actually, I think if that was a problem, the universe of potential employers would shrink dramatically, perhaps to a singularity. I've already decided I don't like to work alone--bring on the characters.