View Single Post
Old 05-21-2018, 08:57 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

May 22nd, 2018: Royal Wedding

Oh my, a Royal Wedding, just thinking about it makes me so giddy I could puke.

The saving grace was the getaway car, a 1968 type E Jaguar which is one of the most beautiful cars ever built.
It’s LEFT hand drive as a civilized car should be, but probably powered by British coal, as the blue color isn’t the only thing electric.

Quote:
Jaguar Classic reports that the electric conversion system is modular and completely reversible, and it’s designed to be a drop-in fit in any Jaguar from 1948 to 1992 that was originally equipped with the XK-series inline six. Original brakes, suspension, and chassis bits are retained, the goal being to “preserve the looks, handling and performance characteristics of the original vehicles—yet deliver zero emissions,” according to the company. Developed with an unnamed technical partner, the system offers a range of 168 miles and a charging interval of six to seven hours.
That means they can 6 or 7 hours of honeymoon every 168 miles... cooool.

Quote:
Under the classic tilting front bonnet is a liquid-cooled, lithium-ion battery package of unspecified capacity to support the 220kW propulsion system. The electric motor and gear-reduction unit are slipped in where the transmission once resided, while the inverter and electronic controls fill up the rear boot area—trunk to us colonials.
One eye-catching departure from the original Series 1 E-Type is the beautiful carbon-fiber instrument panel with a large TFT flat-panel display in the center. The shop people at Jaguar Classic report that the Concept Zero actually weighs 176 lbs less than a production E-Type, owing to the considerable weight of the original XK inline six.

No price has been announced for the conversion package or a complete Concept Zero vehicle, but if a couple of young British-American newlyweds just starting out can swing it, the cost must be fairly reasonable. Good luck, you kids.
Maybe Grandma kicked in a few shillings.

link