View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 07:36 AM   #9
glatt

I've been summoned 3 times.

First time I showed up, sat around for 3 partial days waiting to be selected, and never was.

Second time there was a new clerk and a new system. Phone in for info on if I was needed the next day. I showed up one day and sat on a jury but the case was dismissed after the poor defendant (actually seemed like a nice guy and I was on his side) incriminated himself under oath and took an unknown deal. He had dropped his kid off at elementary school while carrying a loaded gun in a gym bag in his trunk. This was a violation of Virginia law because the gym bag wasn't locked even though the trunk was. He kept that gun in the trunk all the time.

And the third time I provided proof of the second time and was excused because it had been so recent. Thankfully, because that third time was a federal court case and would have been a big deal trial going on for a week or more.

I saw lawyers get excused, single caregivers, elderly with health issues, and lots of people grasping for reasons who were ultimately kept around.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote