View Single Post
Old 09-02-2005, 10:40 AM   #4
wolf
lobber of scimitars

As I was having my traumatic experience on the New Jersey Turnpike the other day, I had a thought. Or two. But this is the for this thread.

Other than stupid lane changing, merging onto the highway at an entrance ramp is the most dangerous part of highway driving. I do commend the New Jersey Turnpike for having accelleration lanes, which don't actually exist in Pennsylvania. I also dug the trucks/busses vs. cars split lane thing. Very pleasant.

Anyway ...

Why doesn't anyone design a limited access highway in which the entrance ramp actually creates a new lane ... taking, say, a two lane road into a three lane, and not forcing the cars newly entering to jump into the full speed traffic lanes right away ... they have several miles to do that. At exits, this outer lane would be exit only, and would not continue past the ramp, so you'd have a two-lane ... but the corresponding entering lane would take it back to three (Kind of like the Broomall Entrance to the Blue Route, if you're here near Philadelphia).

This would require a different kind of politeness in driving (if you like going slow and hugging the right lane you'd have to change lanes a lot more often), but it works in the picture in my head.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote