View Single Post
Old 07-17-2011, 09:57 PM   #39
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Thank god my hated nickname is too long for you lazy sods. I accept MTP just fine.

Here is a story for you Datalyss (see I even bothered with the redundant "s"):
As a little girl I had an AWFUL nickname my parents gave me. It was down right mean but they thought it was so fucking cute. Anyway, my older brother took to calling me by this nickname when I was in the awful awkward ages of pre-teen angst, and it pissed me off. For a week he did this to me, made me cry and threatened to tell the kids I went to school with. Then, an idea hit me: just accept the name and act like its no big deal. Treat it as if it didn't bother me. This had 2 results: I honestly stopped being bothered by it, and he stopped calling me by that name within a day. I don't think I've heard it since 'cept as a "do you remember when...." story.
This method also worked for the "George" nickname he decided to give me out of the blue one time also.

So the moral of the story, if something (like a nickname) bothers the fuck out of you, don't let others know it and they probably won't be as amused by using it. That's not to say you can't go "I prefer _____ over ______" but overreacting to something as ridiculous as a non-derogatory nickname is not the way to avoid getting called by it.

For the overly curious: my stupid childhood nickname was 'Middy Poo Pot.'