View Single Post
Old 08-08-2006, 07:54 AM   #25
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Progressive?

I don't think the quotation marks leant any sense of irony. They seemed to me to cast the word (and those who apply it to themselves) in a condescending light. This is made all the more obvious by quoting my mention of the "stolen election" and then saying that progressives "...end up beliveing their propaganda." If you were really being ironic, I missed it and I apologize.

Theorists of propaganda will have no bigger font of material from which to study their topic than the rhetoric that has come from the present administration. Up is down, black is white, and turned corners bring you back to where you began. It is appropriate here to quote one of the better theorists of propaganda:

"If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie. It thus becomes vitally important for the State to use all of its powers to repress dissent, for the truth is the mortal enemy of the lie, and thus by extension, the truth is the greatest enemy of the State."J.G.

Ironic indeed.