View Single Post
Old 12-08-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
anonymous
Operations Operative

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
You seem to have a pretty good handle on how you feel. That's not meant in a mocking or sarcastic way at all. I'm not sure how to put it in words, but you seem to really have good insight into how you feel and what it all means to you. What makes you tick. A lot of people just plug along, not aware of what's going on with them. I'm not sure if that's a good thing for you, or a curse.

I'm sorry you are tired. My hope for you is that you can be kinder and gentler to yourself. I suspect that you are your harshest critic. You might want to try to be your greatest cheerleader.

I read about a study recently that said that when you think about yourself or talk to yourself, you should actually use your name. People will say things like "I suck" much more readily than, "Glatt, you suck." If you throw your name in there first, the rest of the sentence is far more gentle than it would be if you used "I" to start it off. It may feel weird to talk to yourself in the 3rd person, but you actually listen to yourself when you do. And that gentleness actually makes you feel better and is more likely to be effective in a positive way.
I do try to say my name. It does tend to soften things. "insertname" what did you just do?

Thanks for your comment. I think you understand more about being heard and not being discounted than any of the therapists I've tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim View Post
I used to look around at other people and think.... they seem to have no worries... why am I struggling so much just to get by... everyone else has their shit together.

and then I went through some REAL shit.... and realized that EVERYONE feels like that sometimes, and NO ONE really has their shit together like we think they do. except maybe glatt... lol

not saying you haven't been through some real shit. just telling you that you're NOT unique in this way.

surrender to the reality. do not resist. accept it or change it. YOUR perception of a SITUATION as a PROBLEM is what is causing your suffering. resistance to reality is the source of suffering. get some buddha up in your brain
Yes, these things I know. I said in my post that I realize I am not unique (not in those words, no.) I know that things could be so much worse. And I acknowledged that things get better, then get worse again. I owned up to feeling envious of others even though I know everyone has their own stuff, and part of my problem I was venting about was that I can't seem to separate those feelings.

Maybe because I'm tired.

I thank you for your posts, and for not ignoring me or dismissing me outright. That helps, just that helps.
anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote