View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 05:06 PM   #15
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
When I was in college I wrote down all sorts of ideas for an RPG. I wish I knew where they were.
If you remember anything about your general ideas of why you felt a new RPG needed to be created, I would be interested to hear about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
That's great! I'm interested to know where you go with it.
Thank you for your interest.

My initial inspiration was in three parts:
1. After having to re-engineer the difficulty level of D&D 4e encounters, I figured it would be almost just as easy to create homebrew encounters. I began to imagine what the fictional settings would consist of…
2. The leader of our D&D group remarked one day, in frustration, that if he could find a way for the two of us to play the campaigns on our own, he would kick everybody else out of the group. I began to imagine how an RPG system capable of scaling to 2 players would work…
3. Next, as I tried to explain to my father how D&D works, I realized how prohibitively complex the system sounds to someone who might otherwise be interested in the concept of an interactive fantasy setting. I began to imagine how a more streamlined, user-friendly RPG system would work…

I’ve been trying to identify the necessary game elements from which permutations thereof can allow the flexibility more advanced users will want, while maintaining an ease of use which will allow novice users to begin right away. Basically, I want to have my cake and eat it too; but I believe this is achievable, specifically because I am not starting from a rehash of the old D&D system (as does basically every other RPG system) but rather creating a completely different way of simulating reality via a numerical system, with every aspect re-engineered from the ground up.

A great part of creating the world consists at this point of research into classical myths and legends, other immersion into the influences and roots of modern fantasy genres, as well as delving into accounts of the history and prehistory of military technology.

More relevant to this thread, I want to make sure that what I envision as the ideal system doesn’t neglect something that others would consider as essential to their enjoyment of the game.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote