View Single Post
Old 06-05-2015, 02:36 PM   #27
it
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I don't necessarily object to that as long as it's consistent.
If it's simple semantic consistent you are seeking then it already is, even without having the same term for women raping men as that of men raping men, simply by virtue of having a specified weapon instead (Penis).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I'm just saying nuance is better than lack of nuance, when trying to define involuntary punishments that are to be handed down by the state.

There could just as easily be a new term for women forcing themselves on men for the express purpose of impregnating themselves--seed theft, for example, which might earn a punishment equivalent to those currently given for rape, or not, but the point is that calling everything by one term almost never improves things.
Narrower and more selective categorization often result in more ignorance then more understanding:

When it comes to social & legal policy it's more often then not used as a means to excuse unequal treatments, such as a corporate alliance lobbying for a nuanced exceptions in the tax code, making a nuanced distinction between how you punish drugs popular in black culture and how you punish drugs popular in white culture, or let's say... Gender treatment [insert pretty much an topic that would be relevant to this thread].

When it comes to day to day ethical decisions it usually involves explaining why the time I pickpocket someones jeans is totally different from the time someone pickpockets my khakis.

Are any of those better because they are treated as more distinct categories?
it is offline   Reply With Quote