Thread: Math Help
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #29
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Lamplighter:
Quote:
For me, I need "real world" images to make any sense at all
Then, sir, stay the heck out of quantum physics. At the very small scale, matter behaves in very strange ways, and there is nothing at all at the human scale that behaves the same way, so you will never get that "real world" image that will give you a feeling of understanding.

For example:
Quote:
if one end is down the other end must be up, and this happens instantly.
... not just that, but until you measure it both ends are (in a super-position of) both up and down at the same time. Measuring and finding one to be up means that the other is instantly down. And yes, god-damn instantly, with no speed of light delay, which is a direct contradiction of relativity which says nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. We (well, not me, boffins) can produce this effect on demand with less that $10,000 worth of equipment, which is both intriguing and annoying.

ETA - the cats drinking is worth studying. 30 years ago someone spent years figuring out how lobster eye-stalks work. 10 years later the discovery was used to create a new way of etching electronic circuit boards, or something like that, and is earning millions. Never know where these things might lead.