View Single Post
Old 04-26-2009, 12:21 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

April 26, 2009: Seehorse

Tabitha Darling is not blind, but she is legally blind, which means Federal Law allows her ride her "service animal" into Target.
Quote:
"I do think there should be an allowance for comfort and therapy animals, simply because who are we to judge when somebody needs something?" Darling asked.

Carolyn Finefrock is blind, uses a dog to get through life, and objects to the expansion of the "service animal" list.
Quote:
Finefrock is concerned that an expanding list of service animals — from snakes to ferrets — are used by people who may not really need them. "Are they disabled enough to have the right? Are they disabled at all? Are they faking?" she asked.
Quote:
"It is a very touchy situation," said Charlotte Steward, an advocate for the rights of the disabled. She is opposed to any changes. "If you need that to feel comfortable or secure in yourself, or to deal with your disability, why shouldn't you be able to?" "It's just like using a walker or a cane, in my opinion, to get around in the community," Steward said.
Hmmm, riding your horse inside Target is the same as using a walker/cane?
As far as I know, walkers don't shit, bite, kick or step on people.

Maybe because I grew up with the accepted notion of seeing eye dogs for the blind, but that doesn't bother me at all. And therapy animals visiting nursing homes/hospitals, I have no problem with, great idea.
But I also grew up with horses and don't think they belong in stores.

For me the whole, "comfort and therapy" critters in the stores and malls is pushing it. Does that mean I can take my rattlesnake to the store because it makes me more confident?

link