View Single Post
Old 03-15-2014, 09:04 AM   #5
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I suppose losing the negatives would be akin to snatching their baby from their arms and dashing on the rocks, to the people running the Institute. Any physical thing from that expedition would be holy grail class, considering that expedition caused the Institute to be born. I can understand their frustration with the owner not donating them, and asking for a whole lot of money.

But do they need them... no. They have prints which can be digitized for further manipulation and study. I guess they have they negatives for a little while longer, which can be projected to a large size and digitized.

I wonder if they are afraid whoever gets the negatives will be a copyright dick, and hassle anyone trying to display the pictures?

A few weeks ago, I read in one of the newspapers about a fairly mundane item associated with polar exploration being sold for a substantial sum of money.
Despite searching, I haven't been able to determine what it was... biscuit tin or ketchup bottle... something along those lines.
What I did discover, is that there appears to be a thriving market in such objects: Polar exploration artifacts go under the hammer and Ice pick from Shackleton's final expedition up for auction

It's a pity the owner has chosen to sell, rather than donate or lend, but 'tis the way of the world, unfortunately.

Last edited by Carruthers; 03-15-2014 at 09:10 AM.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote