View Single Post
Old 05-06-2017, 10:24 PM   #331
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

It's my turn. Not all today, but I'm still healing from 1/3 of my misadventures.

1 -- I have a new (to me) truck, details to follow. But it's got an automatic transmission and having put a couple hundred thousand miles (alllmost) on the VW Golf, I've rowed through a lot of gears. Anyhow, I was driving it home the other day, a really pretty day, I was kinda tired, kinda relaxed, listening to the music, not the news, and as I approached the stop sign, I reached for the clutch with my left foot. Obviously there is no clutch pedal. But the regular step down on it motion, in contrast to the usually much more delicate footwork with the right foot brought me a BIG surprise when my big foot caught the corner of the brake pedal. UURRRRK. screeech. thump. Only my pride and my neck suffered and even then not terribly, but it was kind of an idiot move.

2 -- I don't know much about this truck, it's new to me as I said. And the owner's manual gives some ... moderately detailed diagrams to help the owner distinguish which engine is in the truck, the 3.0 liter V6 or the 4.0 liter V6. Turns out I have the 4.0 liter, but I didn't come to that conclusion until after I'd branded the side of my hand against the exhaust header. Like that city slicker visiting the horseshoe making blacksmith, it doesn't take me long to check out a hot header, but definitely long enough to leave a mark. I looked for a picture, couldn't find one. Just imagine a dumb person with a burned hand. That'd be me.

3 -- For SakuraCon this year I was working on my costume. One part of it involved drilling some small holes in couple of stainless steel mixing bowls. I don't have a vise big enough to hold a bowl, so I just held it in my lap. As I'm pressing down on the concave surface of the bowl with... moderate pressure, I was blithely unaware that the drill was pointed right at my crotch. That is until the drill slipped and I tried to stab myself in the femoral artery.

Idiot.

Name:  IMG_9060sm.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  228.2 KB

Name:  IMG_9062sm.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  190.3 KB