View Single Post
Old 12-11-2008, 06:25 PM   #264
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

About twenty years ago, my ex and I had this silly ass cat named Pandora. We lived in a place that had a very narrow wall that separated our living room from the kitchen, and the wall terminated at the opening to the kitchen. This left a flat vertical surface about 4" wide, covered with a trim board. I used to do drugs in those days, and it occurred to me that I could make a hell of a cat thing there.

I built a roughly 2.5' long, 1' high, 1' deep box out of flakeboard, cut a hole in the bottom big enough for the cat to get through, and covered the whole thing in carpet remnant. Then, I wrapped carpet remnant around the exposed wall edge, and mounted the carpeted box up against the ceiling. The end result was a very integrated "cat tree"; a large wall area that the cat could literally climb up, and a box for her to enter, sleep in, or whatever. She used to actually climb up there and then *hang* by her front claws from the carpeted bottom of the box, like some goofy furry gymnast.

It was awesome.